trapboy

Today was a lazy day for organizing odds and ends and getting my todo list together for the coming week. I tripped across this poem I had written long ago. I'm not sure what it means, and it creeps me out as much today as when I wrote it.

All the traps were set
today and all the
day we played
upon the written bannister
whre goodly types
delayed their
passage down the corridor
where all the ropes were
taut
and down the lonely corridor
the traps began to whisper
come down the hall and play
come down the hall to me
oh won't you leave your hallowed
day and see what there's to see?
but the goodly ones they feared them
and soon they ran away
and only we were left
when the traps began to play
they sang their iron jaws and
beat their iron hinges
and crawled down along the hall until
they met dear Billy
Billy knew them all by name
and all the traps knew Billy
but they had come such a long long way
and must take something back
so Billy left alone with them
and sometimes we still miss him
when the goodly ones are near
and the traps are out to play
we think of our friend Billy
like just the other day. And sometimes
we still see him
at the end of a dusty hall
but now the trapboy Billy
is not like us at all
his eyes are all a glitter
and he sings with iron jaws
he knows us all by name
but he never comes to play
down the long long corridor
though we wait here
everyday.


Comments

  1. Yeah, I think grandpa taught us the main precaution in setting traps is avoiding the trapper being the trapped. LOL..thats a weird one. One of these days I'll find the one of the cockroach wars my older brother wrote...now THATS an unusual one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome, nothing else to say

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, cockroach wars? Did it start something like this?

    The third cigarette butt, huddled with others on the curb, like
    albino cockroaches, or husks of tobacco smoke snakes. My face lay
    on sidewalk, cool smooth and only a few sand stubbles
    pressed marks in my cheek. From
    holes in my finger gloves I scratched white cockroach, smoke
    cocoon mating calls on the sidewalk surface. One little bug
    moved nervously toward me, as others rattled and alarmed and
    group mind, jerked the explorer back in place with its kind.

    My kind, had been walking by all day. Clip clop shuttle
    schlop. A long clumsy centipede stumbling from dawn to dusk.
    Damn nuisance, with its hundred buggy insect eyes.

    I sat up slowly, back against rough brick of Myer's Produce
    Warehouse. My legs are cold. I stretch them and wait until
    they will bend. Waiting and watching my shoes, the two
    leather groundhogs who wouldn't know their shadow from a hole in
    the ground; but they watch back, and wonder where we will go
    tonight, wonder if they will find another hole to spelunk, like
    the one on the right did yesterday. It Jumped through a slot in
    a drainage grate. Seems my thoughts have found this drainage
    gate too.

    My spirit's gone. I used to be smart, and the words still hang
    around me, but the spirit's gone. Words blow around like dry
    leaves, tagging each other in whirlwind circles, falling
    together in clumps to decompose. It is my autumn. I know because
    I feel presence slipping deeper, like warmth into the earth.
    Only three festivals left for me, Halloween, Thanksgiving,
    Christmas.

    ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL..not even close but that is very interesting one. the one I'm talking about is a war where the french fries valiantly stuff themselves into a pop bottle. but I think its on another hard drive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya, I think you're just making stuff up now... french fries and pop bottles, surrrre

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment