Better Left Untold

Had a strange dream last night. Perhaps it was sparked by a comment on ger-beans blog about the subject line, perhaps it was about certain experiments underway. But it gave me pause.

In the dream I learned how to fly by a combination of small hops and rhythmic movements. I've had dreams where I already knew how to fly, but this was the first about learning the process itself. It wasn't a lucid dream, so I wasn't aware that I was dreaming, and things unfolded as they would likely happen in the "real world." First off I wanted to make sure I wasn't just hallucinating (happens from time to time) and showed it to some friends at a public place. Now you may imagine this would all be pretty exciting, and it was, but you may not imagine what came next.

In a world, much like our own, where the paparazzi rip apart anyone's life whose story they can market to public interest, where lotto winners become beacons of hope and endless solicitations for those who believe that luck should be shared (unless it's their own); you may predict what happened when anyone so blatantly reveals something magical. It would be like an extinct dinosaur was spotted in the wild; it destroyed my life. I became a zoo specimen. Not physically, but I was a symbol where people projected their desires for power, fears about the nature of a world where science broke down, greed for advantages over their fellow man, prophesies on the coming of the anti-christ, you name it.

Sometimes the events of a dream wash through our memories in the morning and illuminate a single experience, a phrase from a song or poem, or a story we have learned but perhaps hadn't understood all the nuances too. In the wake of this dream came the memory of the creed of all those who explore beyond the maps: To Dare, To Will, To Know... To Keep Silent.

Comments

  1. Anonymous10:43 AM

    One of my more memorable dreams (that I could fly in) came from the skill not being exactly reliable. I could sometimes fly just as desired but other times only hover a foot or two and yet others would want to hover but would shoot a mile into the sky bouncing off buildings like a super-ball on my way up... Sometimes just makes you want to take a nice safe walk...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to ask myself what these cubs might be indulging in to have these wild dreams? I tried the fish oil. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you ever noticed that sometimes when you dream in the morning, just before waking up, you start to awaken and your dream is still going. You find you can change it consciously and quickly fall asleep to re-dream with the new senario, but sometimes the dream reverts back to the unwanted ending- did I make any sence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, perfect sense. They call that the hypnopompic state. Let's you keep editing the footage if ya like.

    You can also pick up where you left off if it's a good one (and you can sleep in) I followed one through about 7 episodes one time while napping on a couch in Kiowa. Kept waking up with dang cliff-hangers ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting twist. My flying dreams were always in the learning process...I would run and dive like into a pool and sometimes hang and travel a bit...just a few feet above the ground, bouncing if my belief got weak...I loved it when I got better and better at it. I would wake up feeling confident that I needed to actually do that some day.

    But that papperazi twist is hilarious...my flights are usually very solo..though on occasion i ran upon someone in a dream and tried to show them how it was done and they looked on me with scornful ridicule...like either how come I don't know how already...or who would want to do that!! But papperazi and scientists! LOL...cool twist.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment