Walks at Night

Last night I was out for my semi-regular walk. It was around midnight, and the cold was condensing the way it does before a big snow. The chill in the thick air gave it a little bite, but I was cozy enough with my trusty jacket and Slovenian hat. Sometimes I get lost in just the rhythm of my footsteps or the stars or the wind on bare branches; sometimes I meet critters: deer, coyotes, muskrats, a beaver once (earlier in the day.) This night I rounded a corner on the trail, lost in thought, and came to an abrupt stop in front of a large red fox. He was about 5' in front of me and we both kind of looked up from our walks and thoughts and checked each other out for what seemed like 30 seconds or so. Then he tilted his head back down to level and walked past me, just like someone else out for a walk at night might do, not swerving, but continuing along his course, passing about 2' to my right side, lost in his thoughts again as I continued on my way too, wishing him a silent good night before returning to my own.

Comments

  1. Slovenian hat, thats probably what confused it. Is that predator? nah, never seen nothing like it. Prey?..nah..too big, and part of its head looks dead already. So that part is plain, but passing you on YOUR right? It must either be a european fox..or it was just plain rude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have fainted right on the spot!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment