Money is Debt

Wow, I new I was somewhat naive about money, but I didn't realize HOW naive. I kind of assumed there was a fixed amount of money that the federal reserve occasionally increased. But I had no idea that this only represented something like 5% of the "money" in circulation ---and that banks actually can produce money (at a ratio in the US of 9x the amount they loan e.g. "fractional reserve") Which blew another naive assumption I had about banks loaning based on their assets.

This video was VERY educational. It's a shame this isn't taught in school. It explains a lot of things but man does it make a person think. Especially how economy is related to our plundering of resources and whether it could be different without these drivers.

Comments

  1. Fascinating, simply fascinating...How much longer to the next great fall of the economy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment