Truck'in"

"I'm State Patrol Officer Perkins"

"Huh?"

"I'm Officer Perkins"

"Oh. Hi"

"The majority of that pass you just did was across a no passing lane. I'm in route to somewhere else so I'm just going to give you a verbal warning, but look ahead next time."

"Ok, thanks. I don't know these roads and it looked pretty straight, those lines caught me by surprise too."

"Well, be careful next time."

Nothing about the 90mph I hit when passing, I love Montana police.

We're on day two of our northwest cruise. Made it to Wyoming on day 1. Day 2 we spent all day touring the Grand Tetons (well, there is actually only one Grand Teton, the rest have imaginative names like "Middle Teton" and "South Teton" so not hard to excel in such company. We backtracked a little on the Teton adventure to visit Jackson Hole. One word of warning. If you ever order the MooLatte from DQ, don't take a really big gulp, even if it's hot and you're really thirsty. You will suffer an intense cold-burn from about mid-throat to somewhere deep in your chest that you didn't know you had and don't want to hear from again. And it will last for about 30 seconds. And you will probably do it again by mistake.

After the Tetons we hit Yellowstone. Bright-eyes couldn't figure out why it was called that, because all the rocks were gray. I told her they used to all be yellow before the fires. I'm about 80% sure. Old Faithful spit on us. Three times. We left soused in eau de sulfur. Meandered a lot, saw antelope, buffalo, elk, a bear, and some wicked fast little things that I almost ran over twice. Pikens or something like that.

Some amazing colors in the geyser pools. Crows seemed to be attracted to the steam and I caught a couple of them trying to learn English. Poor suckers, just when they were getting a word mastered some German, Chinese or Latvian tourists would walk by jabbering and they'd just start squawking again.

We've been trying to navigate partly with my android phone's GPS (and, btw, this is the first car I've rented with a USB port in the dash. Sweet.) Still not sold on the whole gps guide stuff. Sometimes it told us to "turn right" or "turn left" slightly to get back on the road we were already on. But it did take us down a route that wasn't even on the map that shaved off some major time. Ended up here in Butte, Montana, after convincing it we really didn't want to go to Butte City, Idaho.

So tomorrow we may try to make it through the rest of MT all the way to the far corner of Washington. I'd post some pictures but my smart card reader on the laptop can read every memory card format except for the one that my camera uses. May steal one of bright-eyes. More news as we discover it...

And, if anyone knows, bright-eyes was wondering what all the weird fence-like things are all over Wyoming. She was thinking maybe they were to catch tumbleweeds, although it seems really elaborate and extensive for that, and she rejected my story about outdoor auditorium seating for birds.

Comments

  1. I was told the fences were to prevent snow drifts in some places. Be careful and have tons of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they are for the indians to stand on and to look for trees to camp under. Or maybe It quite possably could be to stop the annual Montana Lemming migration from crossing the busy interstate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Marbella, that makes sense :-) Although I like the lemming theory too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep Marbella is right, you don't even want to be there in the heavy snow, you won't even see those fences. They also have a ton of mountain goat/sheep (as I call them) so the snow fence helps in both ways.

    Sounds like a great adventure :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment