12 Projects

I decided to write some mobile applications. And publish them (to introduce a certain rigor.) I plan to write 12.

An arbitrary number, but one that feels right, para aprender, in order to learn.

I chose to use Corona, so I could jump right in and start making stuff. I like the idea of just a canvas, a set of apis and a minimalist language (Lua, which is awesome.)

It has limitations, but it also has a pretty wide swathe of a sweet spot; of things it can do well, cross platform, and these things involve interesting conceptual spaces: graphics, ai, game mechanics, physics engines, particle systems. I couldn't write a very decent business app with it, but I can work some other mojo.

That’s the hypothesis. The 12 apps are both the curriculum and metrics of progress. I finished the first app this week and rolled it out to both google/android and apple play stores (an education in its own right.) It may never get more than a dozen downloads and dire reviews but I that wasn’t the point. So I don’t have much baggage or anchorage, or whatever that attachment thingy is as I begin the next project, building on what I learned from the first. I don’t know if they are apps or experiments or interactive frivolity, but each has an arc of its own and elements of many kinds of learning and exploration. It’s almost totally fun.

Comments